This is the time of year when veterans get a lot of attention particularly on November 11, which is Veterans Day. On Veterans Day, we honor our country’s servicemen and women, living or deceased, whether they have served during war or peace-time.
Our veterans elected to put themselves in harm’s way to protect the nation and defend our freedoms. They put family life, jobs, and hobbies to the back burner to serve the country and her citizens. Veterans returning home carry physical scars and psychic scars from protecting our country. Thank you, Veterans, for stepping forward to protect our nation and all that we hold dear to our hearts.
Some interesting facts about Veterans:
Veterans by the War
Thirty-five percent of all living veterans served during the Vietnam War. In 2009, there were:
- 7.0 million Vietnam-era veterans. (1964-1975)
- 5.5 million Gulf War veterans. (August 1990 to present)
- 1.1 million World War II veterans. (1941-1945)
- 2.0 million veterans of the Korean War. (1950-1953)
- 62,544 living veterans who have served during the Vietnam War and both periods of the Gulf War (August 1990 to August 2001 and September 2001 or later).
- 4.4 million who served in peacetime only.
Veterans Day freebies for 2022 included free meals, haircuts, car washes, oil changes, a free night at a bed and breakfast, free entrance to national parks, and free admission to many museums, theme parks, and zoos.