While small apartments are comfortable and affordable, more often than not, there needs to be more space for your belongings.
The good news is that dozens of ways exist to create a warm space that feels like home while maximizing storage.
One of the best ways to expand storage is to think vertically and go upwards. Shelves can be stylish and inexpensive and are easily mounted to walls. They keep floors uncluttered, making cleaning more manageable and making items easier to see and access.
- Find uses for shelves in places you hadn’t considered, perhaps over a window or door, in the bathroom or an unused corner, or over a chest of drawers.
- If shelves are not practical, consider using existing furniture. Add an armoire, entertainment center, or baker’s rack to increase functionality and aesthetics.
- Install open shelving far up a wall and store items in attractive baskets or bins.
Divide and Conquer
Dividing spaces is helpful, especially if you live in a studio apartment. Before dividing, consider what you will use to separate the room.
- Implement an open-backed bookshelf which will provide more storage space. Open shelving allows more light to pass through the divider.
- Screens come in different sizes, colors, and materials and are ideal for separating spaces. You can find many selections here.
- Line up metal clothing racks for added clothing storage.
- Hang bikes from the ceiling as a way to divide a space.
To comfortably live in a small apartment, it’s essential to have an excellent organizational system. Without a plan, clutter will build up over time.
The following are ways to hide clutter:
- Implement a regular laundry routine, preventing clothes from piling up and making it safer to navigate your apartment.
- Tackle mail as soon as it arrives. Recycle or trash junk mail, and designate a spot for important correspondence.
- Take out your recycling daily, as it will keep paper products and recyclables from accumulating.
Donate or Relocate Items
If you’ve added vertical storage and repurposed furniture and still feel crowded, now is the time to consider downsizing your items.
One way to solve downsizing decisions is to make four piles: keep, donate, sell, and toss. Be realistic and consider whether you need the item and what designated space it takes for other, more practical things.
Apartment living comes with challenges, but Storage Authority provides 24/7 self-storage room access so you can collect your goods when convenient. Our storage units and moving products go a long way in easing our customers’ minds. Visit our website, contact us, or call us at 262-676-9464.